The beginning of the year brings tax season, and in today’s economy, every penny saved helps. United Way of El Paso County wants to help El Pasoans achieve this through the MyFree Taxes partnership. For a second year, United Way of El Paso County, together with the Walmart Foundation, Goodwill Industries and the National Disability Institute, is providing free federal and state preparation for qualified taxpayers.
Powered by H&R Block, MyFree Taxes is an online preparation and filing service that is absolutely free, safe and secure for individuals and families with annual incomes of $58,000 or less. A service that began in 2009, MyFree Taxes has helped countless individuals and families claim more than $8 million dollars in tax credits and refunds.
United Way of El Paso County wants to inform the community of the service, and encourage those who qualify to visit MyFreeTaxes.com/ep and file at no cost. Anyone using this tool to file online will need the following documents:
- Social security or individual taxpayer identification numbers for each family member and working adult
- W2s, 1099s, and other income forms
- Childcare provider name, address, and tax ID
- Bank routing and account numbers for checking and savings accounts
- Name, address, and phone number of landlord for renter’s credit
- Last year’s tax return (if available)
This year MyFree Taxes is expected to help return an estimated $2 billion in tax refunds and credits. Don’t miss the opportunity to be one!